Monday, August 23, 2010

Need to get writing done? Use Google Docs.

I have really good news. The reason I haven't posted in a while, besides the fact that a bunch of DOA movies snoozed into theaters, is because I've been getting a ton of work done. 

Now, I've been looking for productivity tools to help boost my output all my life. Anything that can help me get more work done in less time and effort is a great thing. But, it's difficult to find anything like that in the writing world. Writing is, and I'm probably not quoting it right, "Butt in chair." That is the hardest part, yet you don't need much more than that.

When I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, I started to use Google Docs to keep a spreadsheet and share it with my diabetes caregiver. What I realized was Google Docs is a wonderfully designed app.

So at first, I decided anything I think of for story, I would put it into a Google Doc. Well, pretty soon I was writing everything; idealines, loglines, beat sheets, outlines; everything except scripts with Google Docs. Because of one simple and amazing feature.

GOOGLE DOCS GETS DATES RIGHT. As I mentioned in an earlier post, getting writing done is all about setting a deadline. The way Google Docs sorts documents is a genius way to show if you are getting work done.

With Dates that are clearly readable and sections sorted with labels "Today" , "Yesterday" , "Earlier this Month" ,  "Earlier this Year". Now you can clearly set the goal of writing every day, by not letting that Document leave from under the "Today" label.

Google Docs is part of the future of the always on Internet connection world, which I believe we are moving towards right now. If you use Google, it's really worth checking out.


No comments: