Thursday, July 1, 2010

Who has it worse than Studios right now? Theater owners.

As I slowly get the hang of this blogging thing, who I am and what I'm all about will come to reveal itself. One of the reasons I have struggled to post on a more consistent basis is because I consider myself a private person and I didn't want to write about myself at all on here (yes, I realize now that is kinda the whole point of blogging).

Beyond my passion for Film and Television I have an interest in economics and financial markets. Several posts back I showed how the success of Avatar followed by Alice in Wonderland sent stocks of theater owners soaring to levels not seen since 2007.

Since the market peak in late April, all the gains those stocks made have been wiped out and they currently are hitting November 2009 prices. The chart of Carmike Cinemas (CKEC) pretty much says it all.


About two weeks ago I bought some DreamWorks Animation (DWA) believing the market had found support above its 200-Day MA but was stopped out with a small gain (+5%) when the market fell hard two days ago.

With Toy Story 3 performing well, Twilight breaking records and Inception on the way, here's hoping July can start to turn things around for Entertainment stocks, but with key support areas being broken daily in the markets, the time for bottom fishing may not be as soon as I would like.

No comments: